[Coco] Advice on copying old floppies

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu Jun 29 11:38:53 EDT 2006

Carey,

Have you tried to use Jeff Vavasour's emulator?:

http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/trs80.html

IIRC, you can use this emulator and set to BIOS wierd with some 5.25
drives (ie, to 720K for a 1.2mb), and his emulator will be able to use
it to read disks. That, or I am remembering wrong (maybe it was a 720K
drive with the BIOS set to 360K).

If you would be willing to ship the disks to me (I would rather save
*everything* - so all 500+ disks), I have an emulation system using JV's
emulators that I have set up that I used to "back up" my old collection
of floppies from my CoCo to CD-ROM - I could run through all of them and
make you a copy and then send you that copy back.

We could work out shipping costs, etc - pay via paypal or check?

I am also interested in other parts of your collection - I am certain
others here are as well. I wouldn't just throw the stuff out - while
there was a lot of CoCo stuff made, there is some stuff out there that
seems rarer than hen's teeth, and only a few people have copies (in one
manner or another). Much of it has been lost.

Please make a list for us, and post it - but I still stand by my offer
on the floppies, if you are willing to try it. I had about a 95% success
rate with my conversion of about 200 floppies - some couldn't be read
due to bit rot, etc...

-- Andrew Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona