[Coco] Cleaning old 5.25" floppy drives

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jun 26 21:24:02 EDT 2006

Jim Cox wrote:
> I have rescued a few 5.25" floppy drives and would like to use them for
> working with the CoCo and other projects. Most are 1.2M drives, but
> there are a few 360K drives.
>
> What is the best way to clean these?  I of course will be dusting them
> with canned air, but how should I clean the heads?  What else should I
> look out for?
>
> -Jim Cox
> http://www.miba51.com/

Long sherwood medical q-tips, and paint thinner alcohol in quarts from
your local ACE HDWE etc.  There are places that should be cleaned other
than the heads which should be the first point of attack.  Next is the
track rods the head carriage slides on, which will need any crud removed
and a drop of light oil applied.  Then if the stepper drive is one with
the thin steel straps running around a pulley on the motor, make sure
the pulley and the straps are clean because a wee bit of dust there can
result in missed tracking on the inner tracks, or even in erratic
location of track zero when the controller attempts to zero the head.

Those drives, both 3.5 and 5 inch, that use a spiral drive groove in a
long shaft to move the head from a small motor at the back of the drive,
will need to have that groove cleaned up down to bare metal, and the
wire that engages that groove also cleaned, then given a drop of light
oil.  Except in Amiga's, wear there isn't usually a problem, but the
amiga's usually managed to destroy their floppies in a couple of years
because they did a seek to zero and a read of the disk every few seconds
just to see if there was a disk in the drive.  Bad dog, no bisquit IMO.

Belt drive disk hubs might need the belt replaced too.  Those will
usually have a strobe pattern pasted on them so you can check the speed
with a florescent lamp.

Lastly, some of the rosettes that clamp the disk to the drive hub can
take a 'set', which has 2 effects.  The first one is poor centering
because thats how they normally bend in their old age, and secondarily,
  the pressure from the clamp spring may be reduced, both from aging of
the spring, and the collapsing plastic of the rosette that enters the
hole in the disk and both centers it and exerts (we hope, it can be a
huge problem with 8" drives) enough clamping pressure to rotate the disk
at the correct speed.

--
Cheers, Gene