[Coco] CoCo 4 - the dream continues...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jun 22 19:55:29 EDT 2006

Fedor

CPU09 is Joghn Kent's MC6809 VHDL core that can be compiled and loaded into a
Xilinx Spartan series FPGA. It needs to be at least a 200K gate equivalent part or
larger.  Currently John has the core running at 12.5MHz buss speed. From static
timing after compilation it looks as if the core may run as fast as 19MHz buss
speed. Simulation and/or actual tests may bear that out. Still a 12 to 15 MHz CPU
would be heavenly. I plan on verifying the max speed shortly.

One reason I would like to  have an HD63484 is to build a prototype so that I can
verify the graphics portion if I decided to redo it in an FPGA. It is always nice to
compare a gainst a running model as opposed to a spec sheet. Better to do side by
side comparison of working boards.

Most of the obsolete and surplus vendors are legit. Most of the web sites have no
stock, they function as brokers for those that have surplus stock that don't want to
scrap their inventory. So instead you may find as little as 4 or 5 to as many as 1,000
pieces. What will happen is you have to buy the whole lot in most cases.  Naturally
they tack on a fee to compensate their efforts. These can be a bit  hefty.

james