[Coco] Incompatibilities between CoCo and Dragon?

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 15:51:27 EDT 2006

Fedor Steeman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What were the differences and incompatibilities again between the CoCo and
> the Dragon?
Ok second try.....apologies if this comes through twice.....

The Dragon was supplied as either a 32K or 64K machine, there was never
a production 16K or 4K version like the coco, though I believe that the
prototype machine was 16K.

Both the 32K and 64K versions had the equivelent of extended colour
basic, I guess by the time that the machines where released having a
machine that had the sound/graphics commands as standard made sense,
also as the base machine was 32K, you could take advantage of them where
that was more difficult on the 16K and 4K CoCo machines, on those
non-extended basic makes more sense.

The Dragon keyboard of the is wired slightly differently to the CoCo,
the keyrows are the same, but are arranged in a different order, you can
do some simple bit-bashing to convert one to the other (there's a
routine in the NitrOS terminal driver that does this).

Neither of the Dragon machines, have the CoCo bitbanger port, however
both have a paralell printer port running off the same PIA as the
keyboard, this made sense as paralell printers where more common in the
UK at the time. The 64, also has a 6551 driven serial port, that can I
believe run at up to 19.2K.

Though the Dragons have the equivelent of extended colour basic, the
tokens are different, you can load a CoCo tape onto a Draagon and vice
versa, and there where programs that would retokenise from
CoCo<->Dragon. Also saving a program in ASCII mode, on one machine
allowed it to be loaded without problem on the other, though of course
this increesed save/load times.

The Disk systems, where totally incompatible, whilst the low level
format was the same, and they had similar dos commands, RS-DOS is out of
the box limited to 35 track single sided drives, DragonDos (or
compatible) can do double or single sided 40 or 80 track disks, so 180K,
360K & 720K per disk. The hardware of the DragonDos interface was also a
little more compatible, as it supported up to 4 standard drives without
the need for a spacial cable.

The cartrage and joystick ports from both machines are compatible, and
you can mostly use stuff designed for the CoCo on the Dragon and Vice
versa, e.g. I have the speach/sound pack and this works perfectly on the
Dragon. I'm not completely sure if the Dragon supplies the +12V/-12V
outputs on the cartrage port, I can check if anyone wants me to :)

The Dragon machines also had a monitor port that has PAL (the Tano of
course has NTSC) composite video and sound available whereas the CoCo 1
& 2 do not.

Hope that helps.

Phill.