[Coco] [Color Computer] [coco} IBM SCSI hard disk question..

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 10 20:58:37 EDT 2006

George's Coco Address wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Pittel" <fwp at deepthought.com>

Let me see if I can remember it all, or enough to make sense at least.

1. The code to do that, by doing a cluster size of more than 1 sector
was in the original os9 level 2.  Kevin's Christmas present rbf.mn
removed all that code, so at that point os9 was saddled with a maximum
drive size of about 130 megabytes maximum.

2. However, when I first tried to re-transplant it into rbf.mn sometime
around ed 34 as I was doing the nitros9 conversion, one vital bit was
missing, a definition that took me about a months reading and
cross-checking Kevins book before I felt confident enough to try it, and
it worked.

So if you have the latest version of rbf.mn, about ed 36 I think, Boisy
correct me please, then os9/nitros9 can handle almost any drive size one
might consider using on an os9/nitros9 system just by increasing the
sectors per cluster value in the disks LSN0.  I think this is DD.BIT,
but my manuals are 1000 miles SE of me ATM, sorry.

I believe that there has now been some bits redefined in some HD
descriptors to facilitate handling this at formatting time, but this
would have to be confirmed by the vendors as to how to use it on a case
by case basis.

I believe that Boisy and friends have also fixed the os9/nitros9 format
command to handle this transparently in the current releases. Back when
I was doing all that, we did not have such a capable format command, so
I had to first format the test disk, and then adjust it using dEd to
actually use and test the multiple sector cluster code.  As that was
about an hours messing for each cluster size I tried, I quit at 8
sectors per cluster in my testing, but I'd have no reason to think that
16-32-64, even 128 might work equally well.

A cluster size of 2 will do a 256 meg (decimal megs), 4 will be needed
for a 512 meg drive, and 8 for a 1GB drive.  It only can be incremented
in powers of 2.

A 1 GB drive would need to use a cluster of 8, an 8GB drive would need
16 to get to 2GB, 32=4GB, and 64=8GB.  This is assuming the driver hands
os9 the first half of a 512 byte sector if the seek addresses LSBit is
0, and the second half of that sector if the LSBit is a 1.  If not, then
the drive size can double because half of it won't be used.

Using that logic, the os9/nitros9 maximum drive size would be reached
when that byte in the LSN0=$FF, or 32GB.  For os9/nitros9, thats one
gargauntuan drive considering the whole archive will probably fit on one
700 meg cd.

> These drives which I have are a mystery as to whether or not they even
> work. The cabling inside the cabinet they were in are the 50 pin variety
> and the drives were not connected to anything except the cabinet. I
> expect they don't work, but I wouldn't know until I determine how to
> effectively interface them to OS-9 L2 and try to format and use them.
> Once I learn exactly how to do this first stage, then I can discover if
> they are actually usable.

Most of the quantum 6 and 8GB drives have died, often a violent death,
plowing grooves in the disks from crashed heads that reach halfway
through the disk in the ones I've looked at, so those labels should be
considered suspect at best.  We at one time had an array of 8 of those
in a commercial server at the tv station, but I don't recall that all 8
of them ever worked at the same time, anytime.  They were pretty bad...

--
Cheers, Gene