[Coco] Recovering files

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 8 17:53:58 EDT 2006

L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 06:55:45 -0600, Robert Gault
> <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Bob Devries wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a utility that will show me the sectors (clusters) which
>>> are  allocated to a file, or will I need to write that myself?
><snip>
>
>    Didn't SDIR -f offer that functionality? I haven't used it in so
> long,  I can't remember.

Maybe. SDIR -f seems to
"-f Tells Sdir to display the "full" description of the files. This is
     very similar to the "fstat" command which comes with gshell
     (MultiVue).
      In addition to the information which fstat reports, this option
      also reports the link count and the segment count. The file
      descriptor segment is included in this count. The segment count is
      particularly useful in determining how fragmented the file is. A
      file in OS9-6809 may have up to 48 segments, 49 if you count the
      file descriptor segment. Therefore, if it has only two segments, it
      is contiguous.
      The more segments it has, the more fragmented it is. The file size
      is reported in DECIMAL and HEXADECIMAL and does not include the
      the file descriptor."

If Bod D. just wanted the segment count, sdir -f would work but based on
the description of sdir, it won't indicate the contents of the headers
for the segments.