[Coco] Bootable PCI USB Card? (On-Topic, really!)

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 13:09:01 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, those only support CF. I'm not aware of any that supports USB
and plugs into an IDE cable.

Rod

On 6/8/06, L. Curtis Boyle <curtisboyle at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:46:58 -0600, Roger Merchberger
> <zmerch-coco at 30below.com> wrote:
>
> I know that there is a hardware card that plugs into the IDE cable that
> will allow you to boot from USB cards (either The Register or The Inquirer
> websites just had a review of it). You just plug the hardware into the
> cable (like a normal hard drive or CD/DVD), and the stick into the
> hardware. It translates everything on the hardware, so to the computer
> (and BIOS), it just looks like a normal hard drive, so you can boot with
> it even on really old machines that don't have USB, never mind USB boot
> support in the BIOS.
>     An example I found on the web after a quick peek is here:
> http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adidecf.asp
>     and they are only about $27.00.
>
> > OK, this is ontopic. Really, it is!
> >
> > There are a few things that I'm having "issues" with in Win2K and MESS,
> > so I thought "Instead of diddling with floppies & partitions & whatnot,
> > why not set up a bootable USB Key with a dos-only Win98?" so I can run
> > dos apps to tranfer disks & whatnot (and the JV emulator, which I bought
> > many years ago). So I did. I found enough webpages that got me working,
> > and now my 2G Sandisk Cruzer Micro is FAT32 formatted, and will boot
> > from (so far, 3 machines tested) most any machine that can boot from a
> > USB key.
> >
> > Unforch, the 2 machines I wanted to boot this critter from most, *won't*
> > boot from a USB key. :-((
> >
> > My lappytop I've pretty much given up hope for - they don't publish BIOS
> > upgrades for it - it's a support issue for them & you have to ship it
> > back to them to update the BIOS. I'd have to boot from CD or floppy with
> > a kernel that knows how to boot the rest of the way from USB, which
> > rather defeats the point; but the internal floppy on the critter is
> > actually USB, so that kinda limited the utility of having a Win98/DOS
> > booter anyway, so not that big of a loss. Tack on no on-board serial or
> > parallel, and that clinches the fact it's pretty much a Winders/Linux
> > box. No biggie, really.
> >
> > My main desktop machine[1] at home, however, was my main hope, but it
> > doesn't support booting from USB either. It, however, has PCI slots
> > (Lots of 'em!) and I could add (another) USB card to it if necessary,
> > *if* that USB card had a BIOS that told the box how to boot from a USB
> > key plugged into it.
> >
> > Does anyone know if such a critter (USB PCI card with it's own bootable
> > BIOS) actually exist?
> >
> > Yes, a lot of wasted electrons for what some might see as a simple
> > point, but better too much info than not enough... ;-)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Roger "Merch" Merchberger
> >
> > [1] Tyan 2462 Mobo w/Dual Athlon MP 2600+ CPUs, 6 or 7 PCI slots (most
> > 64-bit) and can take up to 3.5G RAM. Not bad for a 4-year-old system -
> > but the USB spec for booting & whatnot didn't exist (or wasn't
> [...]

Rod Barnhart aka Wintermute (http://www.nitemarecafe.com)

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency
may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do
this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor
protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President.