[Coco] What tools do you use for developing CoCo S/W?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 3 17:57:49 EDT 2006

Ries, Rich [S&FS] wrote:

> I've been listening here for about a week. Boy, does this bring back
> pleasant memories!
>
> I'm wondering -- what tools do you all use for developing CoCo Software?
> That is, do you do your developing on the CoCo, or do you use another
> PC? If you use another PC, how do you transfer to the CoCo? The last
> time I worked with the CoCo it was in the early 90's. I was using a CC3
> w/ OS-9 L2. My DOS machine was set up as a terminal to the CoCo. I'd
> edit using Tech-Edit, save, and run ProComm to feed the code into
> Basic-09. I'd use this method because as a coding editor, T.E. blew away
> anything available for the Coco.
>
> Thanks,
> --Rich
> (The Last President of the Long Island Color Computer Club)

  I use my own modified Disk EDTASM to write assembly code for the Coco
that runs under Disk Basic. You can read about my patch at this url
http://home.att.net/~robert.gault/Coco/Sales/Flyer.htm Since I now ship
by e-mail only, there no longer is any shipping/handling charge.
  If I'm writing something for OS-9, I frequently use Scred and then
send the files to Basic-09 or ASM.

  I now have the option of using MESS on the PC and any good word
processing program (such as Word) and can either paste into MESS or use
wimgtool, port, or other utility to move the files from the PC to a Coco
.dsk/.os9 image for MESS.
  There is also the option of using Roger Taylor's Portal-9 or Rainbow
IDE which blends the process of PC writing and emulation running
smoothly and seamlessly.

  Sending files between the PC and Coco is done either with a 3.5"
floppy or Hyperterminal (PC) and Ultimaterm (Coco Disk Basic) or OSTerm
(Coco OS-9). The connection is a null modem cable.