[Coco] Coco Europe

Thierry Mella thierry.mella at skynet.be
Thu Jun 1 16:51:07 EDT 2006

Fedor Steeman wrote:

> Hi Thierry!
>
> Back in the eighties, at the age of 13-14, I ordered a CoCo3 from the US
> with money I earned with a paper route. Of course, when it arrived, I
> could
> not get it to fit. In my naivity, I overlooked the differences in display
> and voltage. With some help, I hooked it up to a transformator and
> ordered a
> CM-8 monitor that I still own today.
>
> In the latest few years, since my original CoCo3 wasn't working
> anymore, I
> ordered several new CoCo3's to get it right. The first one was a
> brandnew-in-box American one. Then I discovered one of those Australian
> CoCo3's, which in fact are configured for 240V/PAL, on eBay that I was so
> fortunate to win. Shipping was twice the price of the actual item, but
> worth
> it. Now I have a CoCo3 that I can readily hook up to my television
> would I
> want to do that, or -Godforbid- in case my CM-8 dies.

I thought that the belgian power network was 220 V / 50 Hz and not 240 V.
Is there a slight difference between the Australian & Belgian / European
network ?
Am I wrong ?

> So... If you are looking for a CoCo3 and other CoCo-stuff I can
> definitely
> help you. I have an old American one where the powersupply has been
> replaced, so it can readily be plugged in to European 240V powerpoints.

Is it safe ? (I think about accidental electrics shocks)

> The
> problems of display remains, however, so you would need a compatible
> monitor, or one that can be made compatible, like the Commodore 1084s
> series. However, Christopher Hawks (on this list) offered to make a
> RGB-to-PAL video adapter for me. I will probably not need it myself,
> so you
> are welcome to overtake my order, and then we can talk about getting
> you the
> CoCo3.

Thanks. Could you give more details about your "agreement" with Mr Hawks
so I may contact him ?

> I can also get or borrow you other stuff, like books, manuals and
> software.
> Shipping within Europe is not as high as overseas

I have stuff for my CoCo 1 (back in '83 ! :-) ) but nothing for the CoCo 3.
So everything is welcome !

Do you know where may I find OS-9 (level I & II) Disks & Manuals ?

Is NitrOS a "clone" of OS-9 like LINUX for Unix ?

> and you may even be able
> to pick stuff in the Netherlands, in Haarlem (North-Holland) to be
> precise,
> which is near Amsterdam.

Unfortunately I don't have a car so the shipping solution seems to be
the only one ...

> Cheers,
>
> Fedor

Thanks,

Thierry

--
Engineering is the Art of making what you want from things you can get.