[Coco] Re: Floppy Drive and OS-9

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 30 06:49:42 EDT 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 01:04, Diego Barizo wrote:
>You mean that when there is no disk in the drive, I should move the
>lever to the "closed" position, just as when it's in use????
>
>Diego

There are two schools of thought on that. Because the springs that squeeze
the hub rosette closed can, with the constant compression that exists when
the lever is open, resulting eventually in poor gripping of the disk hub
when closed, one should reduce that compression when there is no disk in
the drive by closing then.

The other school of thought is that most of the rosettes are plastic, and
having that pressure on them when there is no disk in the drive eventually
leads to the fingers eventually collapsing and taking a set, which reduces
their diameter a few thousanths in addition to lowering the squeezing
force on the disk hub, which in turn results in erratic centering of the
disk along with possibly a slipping drive.

In my own history I've seen failures from both effects at one time or
another.  Particularly in 8" drives since those disks are much harder to
turn after the disk lub has evaporated over the years.  I also had one 5"
drive, in a tandy box no less, meaning no cooling, that appeared to have
gotten hot enough to visibly warp the rosette, but this drive was in the 2
drive system I built for the GVG 300 switchers EDISK lookalike, and was
closed on both its data disk and its boot disk 24/7/365 for many years.

It got funkity after an air conditioning failure that ran the control room
above 110F for several hours many years ago.  The AC people couldn't
understand why we were having kittens at the time because it was like 5
below outside, why did we need air conditioning?  Jerks couldn't think at
all.  The control room was in the core of the building and back in those
days consumed around 45kw of power.  I wound up replacing both of those
drives eventually.  I also had them rig a bypass that would allow sucking
outside air directly into the return plenum, which made quite a diff when
it was enabled.

At the end of the day, its probably going to depend on ones personal
superstitions as to the resting position of the lever. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: