[Coco] Lonnie Falk died June 9, 2006

John R. jhoger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 22:02:09 EDT 2006

I'm sure this is totally inapplicable since, for one, there was
already a clear offer and acceptance, but it's pretty funny to anyone
who knows beginner's contract law:

http://blog.qiken.org/archives/000196.html

Anyway, AFAIK death doesn't invalidate this contract particularly
since there was nothing for Lonnie to do. Michael does the work, and
pays Lonnie for a license to distribute the copyrighted material once
he starts to distribute DVDs.

Death will terminate an offer. But there was already offer and
acceptance. The consideration seems obvious. Lonnie gives up right to
sue over distribution of the copyrighted material, and Michael
promises to pay x cents per digital copy of Rainbow which he
distributes.

Now if the contract is voidable by the parties there could be an
issue, but it doesn't have anything to do with Lonnie's death. I guess
if Lonnie actually had to sign off on the final product, that would
also be an issue (since you can always find some reason to say no).

The law is probably on Michael's side. But, best just to notify the
estate that the project is underway and see if they squawk.

-- John.