[Coco] Hello, all

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Jul 19 13:02:20 EDT 2006

On 19 Jul 2006 at 8:09, Joel Ewy wrote:

> I've always been intrigued by these DMA controllers and wanted to do  something with them.  I realize that because of the way they work  they would have to be integrated into either the system bus or the  peripheral, but I think the latter could be done in a CoCo  system.  Without looking at the databooks I seem to remember  thinking that the 6844 needs some CPU signals that aren't brought out  to the cartridge connector.  But it probably doen't require so  many that one couldn't add some jumper wires...

*****************

The DMA contrtoller would need acess to the TSC line and probably the AVMA, Halt, and/or
LIC lines of the 6809E. The TSC input when asserted will put the address and data lines of
the 6809E in tristate mode. The AVMA tells a copressor that the processor intends to use
the buss in the next instruction cycle. The LIC pin tells peripherals that the last cycle of the
current instruction is being executed. The 6809 itself has the handshake lines built in to
handle the DMA controller along with the clock generator. The 6809E actually makes a good
slave processor in a two processor setup. The registers in the DMA chip are memory
mapped.

>   You seem to be suggesting that you have one of those Motorola  SBCs?  I don't have one of those, but I do have a couple M68MM17  Micromodules.  These are meant to be used in an EXORbus system,  but can be stand-alone SBCs.  They have a 6809, a 6821, a 6840  PTM, a couple 6850s, and 5 28-pin sockets for (EP)ROM or SRAMs.   I've taken a few tentative steps toward getting a 6809 tiny BASIC to  run on one of them.  Ultimately it would be nice to have OS-9 on  one running from ROM, but that's a ways off.

I do. Never finished assembling it. I have all the ICs and most of the resistors and caps. The
original Flex disks that I  have are  8 inch disks and I never really desired to build the
system up with 8 inch drives. 5.25 inch drives were a bit pricy back in 1983. The board is
huge, about 12 inches by 9 inches. The bare boards were available for employees.

james