[Coco] Help - CoCo emulator disk image formats...???

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Fri Jul 14 22:55:29 EDT 2006

Bert & Peggy;

> What PC operating system are you running?  I'm using Windows XP and for

I'm using XP.

> some reason, I can't copy data onto a 3.5" floppy in the CoCo format.  I

I haven't tried copying data to an OS9 disk.  I've only been concerned about
getting it off there.

I don't know what kind of format the 3.5" coco disk has, but it's possible
that your version of OmniFlop can't handle it.

He just added double sided 360k coco disk format to his supported list, so
it's possible that your version can't understand the format you are using.

Have you had it analyze the formatted disk?  Just to make sure OmniFlop
knows how to handle it?

> can format the disk (of course I can format it on my CoCO) but I can't
> copy data onto the floppy.  Someone said that Omniflop doesn't really
> work well for CoCo formats under XP.

It's certainly true that XP gets in the way.  (I can't even format a regular
DOS 1.2m floppy under XP.  It just plain doesn't like 5.25" floppies.)

I came darn close to wiping the drive on that spare computer and installing
Win98 on it.

I even looked into the possibility of doing a 'Live' Win98 cd.  You know,
like the Live Linux cd's that you can boot and run directly off the cd.  You
can do that with WinXP using "BartPE", but for Win98, it's tied to the
hardware of the system it's running on.  So I'd have to install Win98 before
I could make a Live cd.

It's really a shame the old DOS copy program 'OS9' doesn't work in a DOS box
under XP.

I'm tempted to dig out the source code and see if there's anyway to get XP
to cooperate.  I remember a friend used to be interested in reading old dos
disks.  180k, 160k, and other odd formats.  He ended up with some way to do
it, but he might have been using Win2k.

Carey