[Color Computer] Re: [Coco] 6809 Test and Set instruction?

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 02:04:24 EDT 2006

>You know, it might be possible to accomplish the equivalent of a
>"test-and-set" as used for synching between cpus assuming to 6809s have
>the logic as described above implemented. Suppose the following:
>
>FLAG	FCB $FF	* used for synchronization
>
>LOCK	INC FLAG
>	BEQ LOCKED	##
>	DEC FLAG	##
>	BRA LOCK
>LOCKED	* DO STUFF
>
>UNLOCK	DEC FLAG

I believe that's exactly what the article I posted the link too was
proposing.

Quote from the article (notice #2):
--------------------
It finally dawned on me that what I wanted was a dirt cheap, commonly
available, 8-bit microprocessor, like a Z80 or 6809. And while
designing tentative bus arbitration circuits for the 16-bit micros, I
realized that I really didn't need special multiprocessor support from
the CPU! I now claim that I can parallel any CPU that:

1. can "stretch" its memory cycle to accommodate slow memory, i.e.,
has a READY or WAIT input;

2. has some direct memory modify instruction, such as ROR M or INC M.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM