[Coco] Re: Reporting SPAM

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 05:16:14 EDT 2006

> No, no it can't. Being a mail system administrator for the last *decade*, I
> can honestly tell you that there is *no fix for SMTP spam.* None. Nada.
> Null. Zilch, and whatever other language you want to use.
> Anything smart enough to shore up SMTP's lack of authentication breaks SMTP.
> Assuming you could stamp out all spam originating in the US, how are you
> going to stop rogue servers in... say... North Korea, China or Indonesia?
> The *only* way to manage spam (notice I didn't say "stop") is to change the
> entire mail delivery backbone - i.e. ditch SMTP for a better protocol which:

I like to see it this way: the only way SPAM will ever go to the bit
bucket and stop being a pest presence in the internet is when users
grow up... why is it that spammers throw out so much sh*t to begin
with? because among 1,000 users there will be at least ONE that will
click on that link, read on the offer and... you get the picture.

But, since that will NEVER EVER happen, let's keep on our futile
attempts at having technology solve a human condition problem. Good
luck to those enterprising souls.

Mmmm... one of the reasons I have a job is just because some users are
just too technologically challenged, so perhaps I do not want to have
users grow up so much ;-)

Steering this into topic: Why I keep my CoCo 3 hooked up and ready to
use beside my souped up Dell?. Because on top of all the fun, it
reminds me and keeps an alive link to an era when we actually USED a
computer, not just banged away at it shielded through a clunky GUI.

--

-=[ Rogelio ]=-