[Coco] Aussie 2 meg installation - results

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 20:07:36 EDT 2006

Robert Gault said:
> What does "pulling the plug from the memory board" mean? Does that
> disconnect the four wires going to the DAT or something else? If the
> memory board is disconnected, does that mean there is still 512K
> conventional memory installed in the Coco3

Yes, pulling the plug means disconnecting the DAT board from the MEM board.
There is no on-board memory in the coco3, it had been used previously as a
512K coco3.
So also, all the capacitors were already cut (i double-checked)

>  If the simms are faulty, swapping them might show something of interest.
> What happens if you try running with just one simm?

The computer won't run on just one SIMM.
I replaced both SIMMS, and there was no difference.

>  Your choice of 150 ohms for the resistor is based on the NTSC schematics
> but you don't have an equivalent circuit. It seems you need a high
> impedance input to the memory board to prevent degradation of the master
> clock signal. However, without a scope on GIME pin#2 you can't tell
> whether 150 ohms a large enough value. Still as the Coco boots, 150 ohms
> probably is OK.

True, the choice of 150 ohms was based on the NTSC design, but I had to
start *somewhere*.
It seems to work. Maybe I'll try to increase the value to say 1K or 4K7.

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.