[Color Computer] [Coco] New Magnetic memory

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 10 17:15:35 EDT 2006

James Diffendaffer wrote:
>> That reminds me of Dennis' bubble memory board.  Anyone still has one
>> of them?
>>
> http://news.com.com/Freescale+goes+to+market+with+magnetic+memory/2100-1006_3-6092242.html
>> -Benoit
>
> The technology is very different.  Bubble was slow and expensive and
> this is as fast as regular RAM (or so they claim).  With any luck this
> will mean the eventual end of flash memory for all but a few
> applications.  No more funky programming routines to erase or write,
> just write to it like RAM.

Though if you only need up to 32K, there's FERAM from Ramtron, which
acts like standard SRAM, and has a similar interface and pinout, but
like this stuff retains it's contents when the power is off.

That I think is only 70ns RAM, so the freescale stuff is faster and denser.

> BTW, they have been talking about this technology for a while.  Nice
> to see it's finally going to be available.
>
> Hmmmm... it sounds like the beginning of a good CoCo project. ;)

That would be cool :)

Phill.