[Color Computer] [Coco] New Magnetic memory

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Mon Jul 10 17:12:43 EDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:42:56 -0000
  "James Diffendaffer" <jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> That reminds me of Dennis' bubble memory board.  Anyone
>>still has one
>> of them?
>>

> http://news.com.com/Freescale+goes+to+market+with+magnetic+memory/2100-1006_3-6092242.html
>>
>> -Benoit
>
> I've seen the original bubble memory kit he based the
>interface on
> listed on ebay several times but never a coco board.
> The plans were in ColorComputer magazine weren't they?
>
> The technology is very different.  Bubble was slow and
>expensive and
> this is as fast as regular RAM (or so they claim).  With
>any luck this
> will mean the eventual end of flash memory for all but a
>few
> applications.  No more funky programming routines to
>erase or write,
> just write to it like RAM.
> It should also mean a boost for Freescale's stock.
>
> BTW, they have been talking about this technology for a
>while.  Nice
> to see it's finally going to be available.
>
> Hmmmm... it sounds like the beginning of a good CoCo
>project. ;)

I am about ready to start balling after reading this!
 About a month ago, I was cleaning house and sent all of
the bubble memory stuff I had to the recycling center.  I
had an ISA based development board and several bubble
memory modules.

I had plans of playing around with it, but after 10 years
of the stuff sitting in my closet, I felt it I would never
get to it, plus I didn't have any docs and it's condition
was unknown.

The board and modules were from my former employer who
used them for a memory module that went into a flight
navigation device.  I have written about this in the past.
 The navigation system had a 6809, with 3 each 6850 and
6852 for three chanels each of RS422 ARINC communications.
 It also had a 6822 PIA.  Basically it was a CoCo in
flight.

I believe I still have the Intel Manual and if I find it,
I will post it to the list or send it to someone who can
scan it and put it up on the net.

It never fails, as soon as I do some  cleaning something
like this pops up.  Now before I toss this, is anyone
interested in a ISA to PCMCIA card?  What about the
ISA/EISA book that I posted to the list a few days ago?

-Jim Cox
http://www.miba51.com/