[Coco] Firewall Alerts

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sat Jul 8 19:18:55 EDT 2006

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Alan Jones wrote:

> PaulH96636 at aol.com wrote:
> > Still haven't received any replies regarding an experience using dial-up  and
> > getting dozens of
> > firewall alerts reporting remote computers trying to access my  computer.
> > Guess no one else
> > has gotten the same result.
> >
> > -ph
> >

> Paul,
> I have gotten those alerts before even when I was using dial up. I quit
> using dialup about two years ago. I used to us ZoneAlarm firewall and it
> would tell me when someone else was trying to access my computer. I
> didn't worry about it because ZoneAlarm locked them out. But it was
> amazing to see how many times I was getting "probed." :)
> I use Symantec Client Firewall now and it works very well.
>
> Alan

I also would get many, many alerts from Zone Alarm on a dialup connection.  The
fact that my Norton Antivirus' Live Update process would lock up after random
intervals when I attempted to update my virus definitions made me suspect that I
might be infected, but I never was able to confirm this.  When I switched to my
current Windows XP computer, I abandoned ZoneAlarm in favor of the Norton
firewall that came with the computer and have very seldom gotten alerts from
that.

Art