[Coco] Who's good at copying 450 CoCo disks?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri Jul 7 00:44:39 EDT 2006

All, I am going to repeat something here that I just emailed Carey on
regarding this project. I think the idea of splitting things up is a
good one, but I wanted to clarify something here for the benefit of
Carey and everyone else:

-- [ BEGIN ] --

"...on the disks - I do not have any special "copy protection" bypass
gear, nor would I have time to devote to attempting to crack such a
thing unless it was something very special.

However, Tim Lindner does - if it hadn't been for him, Gates of Delerium
would never have been saved. He had a particular piece of hardware from
Germany. I don't remember the name properly, though (KopyCat? CopyKat?).

If you are planning on splitting the work up, I can best handle the
standard floppies and the OS-9 floppies. Those that are likely copy
protected would be better handled by Tim or someone else..."

-- [ EOM ] --

I just want to make it clear that I am not some "master cracker" of copy
protection or anything for the CoCo - if it wasn't for the masterful
help of Michael Crawford and Tim on the Gates of Delerium project we
completed together, we wouldn't now have it available today (BTW - does
anybody know if our file ever got posted?), nor would we have the
blessing of Dave Dies to release Diecom's CoCo software into the public
domain.

As I said above, I think it would be a good thing for Carey to split the
work up, but I feel that likely copy protected discs should go to
someone who really seems to have a handle on that sort of thing, and
that would Tim, IMHO.

BTW - The name of that piece of hardware that Tim has is called a
"CatWeasel"...

-- Andrew L. Ayers
    Glendale (Phoenix), Arizona