[Coco] Re: NEW GAMES (kinda sorta) FOR THE COCO 3!!!!

Guillaume Major gmajor at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 4 21:42:18 EDT 2006

And I tought I was the only one interested into running other Sierra games
on the coco. Now I realize that I was wrong!

About a year ago, I read somewhere in the newsgroups that it could be
possible to run King's Quest I using the King's Quest 3 interpreter. So I
mixed the KQ3 interpreter with the data files of KQ1 from the PC version and
it worked!

Well, it's was not perfect. There were many glitches. So I have modified the
game using an AGI editor to make it fully playable on the coco. I used AGI
Studio to change key assignments, modify the help screen and some logic data
that was making the interpreter to hang. For those interested, you can find
a lot of AGI utilities on this page:
http://www.classicgaming.com/agisci/agiutil.shtml

So I successfully modified King's Quest I, King's Quest II, Space Quest I
and Space Quest II! I have been able to complete them all on the coco so I
know they are fully working. Space Quest II gave me a hard time because its
interpeter is using a new graphic command for the pictures that was crashing
the game on the coco. So I had to remove all those commands from the picture
resources using a hex editor, that was long! Some screens might not look
exactly like the original.

Function keys from the original games where mapped to numbers (F1 to 1, F2
to 2, an so on). So you can save your game by pressing 5 and restore it by
pressing 7. Press 1 to bring the help screen with all the key assignments.

After I read Ken's post, I tried to bow in front of the King and I also got
the script error. I then looked at the original script with AGI studio and I
discovered a bug in it. Apparently, it does not affect the PC interpreter. I
fixed it.

I also been able to modify Police Quest I but I'm stuck at the car accident.
For those who remembers, early in the game you are called to investigate on
a car accident scene and your are supposed to see it on the street map. But
I don't know why, the car accident doesn't show up. Maybe someone on this
list will be able to resolve this issue.

You can download the games from my web server at:
http://goyim.dyndns.org:8080/coco/

You'll have to rename them to .os9 to make them work in MESS. You can play
the games right off the disks, no hard drive is needed. Type "sierra" to
start the game. There is still one glitch though: the sound data of theses
games is incompatible with the coco interpreter. So you'll have to start the
game with the "-m" option to disable sound or else the game will lock up.
Also, if you are using a RGB monitor, add the "-r" option.

Ken, I'll be pleased to help you with your web site. Don't hesitate to
contact me if you have any question or need help porting other Sierra AGI
games.

Enjoy!

Guillaume Major
gmajor(at)videotron.ca