[Coco] Question about disk images & copy protection.

Carey Eugene carey at cebridge.net
Sun Jul 2 00:20:57 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Devries" <devries.bob at gmail.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Question about disk images & copy protection.

> HUH? My copy of Deft Pascal has no copy protection. Was that on a later
> version perhaps?

Bob;

It's in the linker.

I don't think the earlier ones did, but the later ones did.  Mine is v4.1

I remember reading somewhere on the web some time back a comment from the author about that he didn't want the copy protection but they insisted.  He managed to keep it limited to just the linker.  (No, I have no idea where I read that...  Who knows, maybe I dreamed it.  It's been within the past year or so, though.)

I don't remember what the copy protection was.  The linker checked for something specific on the disk, but I can't remember what.  Some little quirk in the disk structure.  I think around the directory area, but don't hold me to that.

But it was easily patched around.

Let me see... the post-it on it says to patch the linker locations $e6a, $e6b, $e6c from $17, $21, $9a to $12, $12, $12.  In other words, NOP the subroutine call that checks the copy protection.

That was one of my earliest efforts at cracking copy protection.  After that I did a few games and ROM packs.  Can't remember what they were, but I remember printing out pages and pages of source code looking for key areas.

I gotta admit, I had a few unpleasent experiences with Deft Pascal, mostly due to limitations in the Pascal language, but after experiencing other versions of Pascal for other systems, I have to say that I was wrong.  Deft Pascal was an impressive version of Pascal.

Carey