[Color Computer] [Coco] Reporting SPAM

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 10:06:46 EDT 2006

>Get an account at http://spamcop.net/ and use it to filter your email.
>
>Stephen

Spamcop used to work pretty well but many major ISP's ignore spamcop
complaints now due to volume and the fact that an admin will actually
have to do their job.  It used to be that I'd get a sudden jump in
spam (meaning there was a new spammer or bot with my address) and a
report would cause a drop in spam within a few days when the spambot
machine got blocked and the machine owner got informed of the problem.
Now it's more and more like a black hole.

I used the gov address for complaints for a while... useless.

I had a program that would track the spam's source, find the complaint
address and let me send an abuse complaint (what spamcop does)... then
another company bought it and the program became useless.

I finally gave up switching new email accounts since a friend of mine
forwards any joke he gets from anyone to everyone without stripping
off email addresses and everything makes its way to a spambot infected
machine.  So I stopped emailing him... and spam has slowed.

I have similar difficulties when I report attempted break-ins on my
ftp site.  At least their I've heard back several times that a
compromised server was being used, had been blocked and they were
working with the owner to resolve the situation.

Until providers that take no action against spammers or spambots are
forced to do something this will continue to be a problem.
BTW, Microsoft says they can "solve" the problem with their new
technology (patented of course) but my hotmail account receives
something like 200+ spams a day.  Over 100 times any other email
account I have.  Doesn't sound like they have my interests at heart.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/CFFolB/TM