[Coco] [color computer] Just imagining...

Larry Osborne larrybo at idirect.com
Tue Jan 31 21:35:45 EST 2006

There was one written IIRC.  It was OS-9 Level 3 for the GIMMIX 3 Computer.
It was often advertised in old Rainbows.

Gimmix OS-9 Level One was essentially what you see with a CoCo 1 or 2 (64K)
but with better hardware and IO support.

Gimmix OS-9 Level Two was essentially what you see with a CoCo 3 (More
Memory than the 6809 could address directly with 4K blocks rather than 8K
blocks as in the CoCo3) with much better hardware support for the IO
especially.

Gimmix OS-9 Level Three had no CoCo equivalent at all; rather you had
several (2 3 ?) 6809's again with much better internal and IO support.  If
you can find someone who has an old one (esp if it is still working) you
might be able to see how the software handled it.  I suspect though that the
internal hardware was probably the most important item in making it work
with the software along but barely aware of it as I don't see how a 6809
could possibly function with another 6809 any one circuit.  I would imagine
that Memory Management kept the 6809's from interacting directly in any way.

If my memory is in error my apologies.

Larry Osborne