[Coco] [color computer] Just imagining...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jan 31 21:14:57 EST 2006

The newest release of Webpack 8.1 now programs all the Spartan2 and 2E, all the Spartan
3E, the 1 and 1.5 million gate Spartan 3L and up to 1.5 million gate Spartan 3. This in
addition to all the CPLD lines. There are limits on the Virtex lines of FPGAs but those are a
really not in homebrew market price range. Some of the Virtex 2 Pro chips push the $2000
range for a single chip.

In general the Webpack 8.1 release will do almost everything a  homebrewer needs. Also
now the Coregen software is apart of the Webpack release along with some of Xilinx's IP
cores. That is why I can't wait to get my new PC components tomorrow.

Xilinx has combined some of the lincenses now and just offers Webpack and Foundation.
Some of the functions of the versions between Webpack and Foundation are included in
Webpack. There is still the EDK developers software that is a chargable license needed.

james