[Coco] New subscriber

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Jan 30 11:01:09 EST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 9:29 AM, Brian Blake wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> Happened to stumble across this list and associated web site by
> accident last week. I cannot believe the old coco still has the
> following it does. I had two in the past, coco 1 & 3, with too many
> accessories to list. I donated them shortly before I went into the
> Navy in '90.
>
> I've spent the last decade or so immersed in Windows based machines
> and after reading the various pages on the webring, have purchased
> a couple of coco's again. The reasons for this are twofold, 1 - so
> my kids can see a real peice of computer history 2 - so I can
> tinker with one again and try some of the intersting hardware
> Cloud9 (the idea of getting an IDE drive to work with it sounds too
> cool to pass up) has to offer, as well as NitrOS-9.

Brian,

Welcome!  Yes, the CoCo is still alive and well, as you can see.
There's plenty of life left in the machine and people who are
constantly pushing the envelope.

> I was also looking into getting a Dragon 64 after finding a company
> in California (California Digital) still has several hundred. Has
> anybody here had experience with this company? Current price is $39
> + s/h for what is supposed to be a new, unopened box. Here is the
> web page: http://www.cadigital.com/computer.htm

I purchased one of these earlier this month from the same company.
It is the second one I've purchased from them, having bought one some
years back from them.  They are indeed new in the box and do work
well.  In fact, Phill-Harvey Smith just ported Dragon's DOS to work
on a CoCo compatible disk controller.  This means that you can use a
CoCo controller on the Dragon and it will work.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
Email: boisy at boisypitre.com
Web: http://www.boisypitre.com/