[Coco] Re: OT -- Texas and highway laws in general

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 10:13:42 EST 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 09:24, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>Well, I can't cite the chapter and verse at the moment, but it should
> be noted that U.S. FEDERAL LAW prohibits highway/paving contractors
> from warranting their work!  We could have good roads.  It would
> however cost more up front and much less down the road.  Big business
> needs their job security.

I believe thats applicable only to hiway projects that involve federal
money, which 99.99% of them do.  But there isn't anything to prevent a
contractor from offering a warranty on his work on your driveway AFAIK.
But it would be sensible to him to offer it only where he does all the
site prep work and knows whats under it.  You obviously don't pave over
a swamp without raising the grade with lots of rock base to stiffen it
up.

Its been estimated that to require such on federally funded projects
would add at most 15% to the cost, based on similar work done on the
autobahns in germany, where a 5 year warranty, fixing potholes back to
state specs many times tighter than ours, is part of any repair/upgrade
contract let.  And germany has world famous fine roads.

So it CAN be done, but one must protect the Davis-Bacon pork at all
costs.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: