[Coco] CoCo video?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 29 21:30:17 EST 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 20:22, John Kowalski wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>I don't have a hard drive on my CoCo, but with the "or less"
> qualification in your question, the answer definately becomes YES -
> just drop the frame rate until it reaches a data transfer rate the
> hard drive could sustain :) All things considered, I think 320x200
> running at 12 fps *may* be more probable.  (I don't know the transfer
> rates of existing hard drive interfaces is so I can't say for sure.)

The 6x09 doesn't, without extensive hardware help, support dma, so the
max transfer is going to be someplace in the 12 seconds per megabyte
moved area, and this doesn't address the "are we done with this block"
conditional tests to terminate the movement of the individual field so
that an outer loop can reset the 'to' register thats addressing the
video memory.  That also will require they be mapped into the same
space, a bit of trickery at init time.

Based on that, it might be a doable thing. But I'll let you fellows
figure the achievable frame rate.

A far larger problem is that it will be silent since the audio data will
actually take up as much or more data space than the video even if its
only 6 bit sound.

But its an intrigueing mental exersize to calc all the what ifs. :)