[Coco] CoCo video?

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Sun Jan 29 20:22:46 EST 2006

Hi Roger,

I don't have a hard drive on my CoCo, but with the "or less" qualification
in your question, the answer definately becomes YES - just drop the frame
rate until it reaches a data transfer rate the hard drive could sustain :)
All things considered, I think 320x200 running at 12 fps *may* be more
probable.  (I don't know the transfer rates of existing hard drive
interfaces is so I can't say for sure.)

If an existing hard drive interface does have DMA capability, even 24 fps
may be theoretically possible.  Someone else who's reading the list may have
some hard facts about transfer rates.

Not counting audio or overhead data, 320x200x24fps is 750K of data per
second (One megabyte every 1.36 seconds).  In clock cycles, that works to
2.33 CPU clock cycles per transfered byte.  That's too close to the CPU's
own clock rate for a software loop to manually read data that fast...  Even
the 6309's block transfer opcode is slower (at 3 clock cycles per byte.)