[Coco] Technical OS9 Q.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 22 22:27:01 EST 2006

On Sunday 22 January 2006 20:49, Dave Kelly wrote:
>Bob Devries wrote:
>> Dave Kelly said:
>>> What happens if you have 60 files or directories in your root
>>> directory?
>>
>> If you try to add a file beyond the already allocated size of the
>> directory, it will be extended to the limit that the fdseg area of
>> the file descriptor allows (not all at once of course).
>
>So now I have another FD of size  1 sector along with 7 sectors. This
> FD fdseg will
>contain the address to the sector that contains the last 4 file names
>(29 bites each ) plus the 3 bite disk address of the file descriptor
> for each file? And this  FD can be anywhere the OS deems fit to write
> it?

Yes.  It will be put at the first occurance of IT.SAS free sectors found
when searching the disks allocation map sectors.  And to answer another
message, the whole IT.SAS will be allocated at that time, preserving
that area for future growth of the directory, until such time as
another IT.SAS worth of disk must be found due to continued growth.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: