[Coco] IDE development

Roger Taylor roger at newfoal.com
Sat Jan 21 18:39:14 EST 2006

At 04:58 PM 1/21/2006, you wrote:
>Your project sound great Roger. I look forward to trying it out.
>
>Alan
>
>Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>>The Rainbow IDE is coming along well and should be ready for an initial
>>release within a week or two.  My current work is in the area of
>>assembler recognition and configuration, and I am also trying to engineer
>>the software so that I (or you) can add compilers and other source code
>>processors with minimal effort.  Such compilers could easily be C,
>>Pascal, Fortran, etc. which means I cannot limit the structure of the
>>software to just handling assembly builds.  Instead, project files call
>>on their "Source Code Processor" to do what needs to be done to produce
>>the output object.

Thanks, Alan.  It's sure to be a hit with the assembly community.  When you
select the M.E.S.S. system you want to send your software into to emulate,
a nice picture of that system appears in the lower left panel.  I'm working
hard to round up avatar-sized images of all the systems, but it's not one
of the priorities in getting the software useable.  I just want to have a
collection of most of the popular systems so you get that extra feel of
being in control of that particular computer while you're programming.

The best part about Portal-9 and Rainbow is that they are pretty easy to
use and I won't try to overwhelm the user.  I want to put the power there
but do most of the work by assuming common things that most developers
might be doing.

--
Roger Taylor