[Coco] Making a disk image

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Tue Jan 17 14:07:44 EST 2006

Leon Howell wrote:
> I can download a disk image, but then what do I do with it? The instructions
> on the NitrOS-9 project web site require a version of MS-Windows with a
> command prompt. The only public access pee seas in town with working FDD's use
> something called Windows-XP. It's apparently a very recent version, and does
> not have MS-DOS or a "comand prompt". Is there a "Windows-XP" compatable
> version of Dskini and Retreive?

Short answer: No, there is no XP compatible version of those utils.

You can boot your machine off an MSDOS or Win9x floppy. The dskini
utilities are compatible with those, if you can figure out how to do it.
Maybe a DOS boot CD with the CoCo floppy image and dskini program is the
way to go.

Or, you can use a Linux box, which has its own set of prerequisite
requirements before you can format a CoCo floppy (it doesn't work "out
of the box" for most folks)

-Mike