[Coco] 26-3029 floppy disk controller.

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Mon Jan 16 12:59:50 EST 2006

Rumor has it that Paul T. Barton may have mentioned these words:
>Sure, what speeds, please?
>(probably 350ns, slugs all)

68766's that are 'unmarked' for speed are 450ns, but I have prolly 200+
that are marked 350ns, and maybe a couple dozen marked for 300ns (which is
the fastest they come) - sorted from about 15 pounds of 'em (and I have
about another 30 pounds to sort yet).

*All* the 68764's are unmarked for speed, and I have yet to find a
datasheet for the '64's, so I don't know what speed they're rated for. I've
"heard" that the only difference between the 2 types of chips is one has a
low-power sleep function and the other doesn't... I don't know which is
which, but if I had to pose a SWAG, it'd be the '66's because they seem
less plentiful and available in different speeds.

Be warned: These chips are used.... (;-) and were shipped in bulk (I
actually found one with a shattered quartz lens! :-O ) but 80+% test &
erase good. Also: These chips were used in Panasonic HHC computers - not
that it impairs their function /per se/, but they are in weird plastic chip
carriers (similar to the chip carriers used for the Tandy Model 10x/200
ROMs) and they take a little 'work' to desolder the built-in decoupling cap
on the power pins & straighten the legs.

The last time I did this for use in my CoCos out of 4 that I dissected, 3
were "socketable" if one was careful inserting the chip into the socket.

Needless to say, I have *no* problem throwing in extras if needed...
;-)

=-=-=-= Trimmed from previous post to the classiccmp.org list =-=-=-=

Anyway, here's the prices for 350ns or slower (All in US$):

Cleaned, Erased & programmed with your custom code:

First chip: $8.00
Each additional: $4.00.

[[ Order 2 of the above, and get 2 Cleaned & Erased chips free. ]]

Cleaned & Erased:
First chip: $3.00
Each additional: $1.50

[[ Order 2 of the above, and get 2 extra chips free. ]]

Straight outta da bag:
First chip: $1.50
Each additional: $0.75

Shipping & Handling: $3.50 US, $5.00 Western Europe,
     Other areas: Ask.
     This includes double-bubble-wrap bagging & static bag.
Items are shipped US Postal Service Priority Mail, so you can see I don't
make any money on the shipping.

By the way, I can still make Panasonic HHC Basic chips as well, same prices
as the "Custom Programmed" chips above.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

If you wish them custom-programmed, email me an Intel Hex or Motorola
S-Record file with your code. (I can also program straight binary files,
Tektronix & Extended Tektronix formats, but binary can get munged in email
and very few people use the Tek formats that I know of.)

One thing I'm not set up to do as a "service" is "decarrier" chips; I can
program them in the carrier, and I don't have a decent pin-straightening
setup (which is why only 3 of the 4 were usable last time I tried it) so
that's best left to the hobbiest who may receive them. However, *gobs* of
money might just change my mind. ;-)

[[ I'm also in the middle of reorganizing my office (and the rest of my
house) so I'm a wee bit disorganized currently for getting stuff mailed
out; I'll be ready to start again this weekend, tho. ]]

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????