[Coco] S-video Prospects...

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Wed Jan 4 07:18:50 EST 2006

Hi,

The most important part, the AD72x needs to be obtained at a reasonable
cost.

No one has said they are going to do a buy or even at what price they might.

The $15 cost assumes a well stocked parts bin or access to a parts supply
similiar to what I have had in the past here in Silicon Valley.

Most but not all stores have disappeared or are rapidly stocking only
Surface
Mount stuff. They only buy what their customers have too many of and what
they can sell to other customers. That today is SM.

Stores that remain:

Alltronics, Moved to far south of San Jose but I would make a trip just to
get out.

Haltronics: Still in the 5th place they have operating but speaking about
number 6.

Halted: Bought by Oracial and closed down for the tax write off. Was one of
the best.

???? Name I cannot remember. Closed their Santa Clara store which was the
first place
I would go for the parts for this project. San Jose Store still open but was
not as fully
stocked as their Santa Clara store.

Anchor: Still open but very small showroom, not a good place for what we
need.

A few more, I have not checked lately as I have not been building anything.

Jameco: Mail Order is better than my walking in and then waiting for a hour.
Appears to be the best place for the hobbist today.

Most of these have web pages.

Remember, we need only a few simple parts:

1 x AD72x IC
1 x Surf Board
1 x small perf board
some small wire
1 x Crystal or OSC
Perhaps a S-Video Connector to mount in the back of the CoCo Case.
6 x 75 Ohm resistors
3 x 100 Ohm resistors for in the R, G and B lines from the CoCo.

5 x .01 Caps
2 x 10  Caps
3 x 220  Caps

Maybe 2 x 10K Ohm Resistors

My interest is non - CoCo and requires an AD725, an AD724 being perhaps
better for a CoCo project.

Those parts do not add up to $95. Most except for the IC and Surf Board
I might may allready have in my parts bin.

Stephen H. Fischer