[Coco] [Color Computer] Let me introduce myself

benwillis benwillis at verizon.net
Tue Jan 31 00:36:26 EST 2006

Hello!

I've found nerd heaven!

My name's Ben and I stumbled across this board over the weekend.
I've always avoided groups/boards in the past, but the Coco is so
much fun and has such fond memories for me I just couldn't resist
(I've never participated in boards/groups before, although I've been
on the net since '94).

Not sure what the protocol is for discussing "past life" experiences
so please bear with me while I (briefly) wax nostalgic.

I bought my Coco 1 in '82 that I paid close to $1000 for, with all
of my summer job money in between years in college. It came with 4K
RAM, but the weekend I bought it, there was a "special" with a free
upgrade to 16K. It came with Cassette drive, 300 baud modem, and
joysticks. My primary draw to the Coco was the Extended BASIC -
being able to use commands like CIRCLE, PAINT, LINE, etc. just blew
away the PEEK/POKE graphics of Commodore and Atari. Since then, I've
always been a big fan of high level languages and predefined library
methods - I still think PEEK/POKE is just a drag and a headache
(hope I'm not offending anyone with that statement!)  Except of
course POKE 65495,0

Over the 4 years I had my Coco, I upgraded to 32K, got a new
keyboard, got a great terminal emulator with full ASCII character
emulation - I had a real problem working on computer projects in C
without {, }, and other characters.  I also wrote alot of games,
including text based adventure games, a Battleship game, a Lunar
Lander clone, a Star Trek game using EDTASM+, and others.  What a
blast that little machine was.

Recently I bought a Coco 2 on eBay, 64K, with Floppy disk drive,
manuals, joystick, for $25.  What I wouldn't have done to have had
that setup back in the 80's. I bought another one with 16K and
cassette drive for $8.

My main motivation for this is to teach my 7 year old son how to
program. PC's are cool, and there are alot of great compilers etc.
out there. But there is something fundamentally wonderful with the
Coco. You turn it on, and all it does is BASIC. The simplicity and
dedication of doing a single purpose and doing it well just shines.
Plus the original Coco manuals I think do a great job of teaching
how to use BASIC and some general programming principles in
general.  He has grown up playing computer games and GameCube and
yet the Coco fascinates him.  He's an avid reader and I'm anxious to
get a hold of Bedlam, Madness and Minotaur, Pyramid, Raaka-Tu and
The Sands of Egypt.

Anyway I've babbled enough. I hope those of you that got this far
enjoyed reading this.

Just glad to be here.

Ben

Yahoo! Groups Links