[Coco] [Color Computer] Floppy contoler Q

Phill Harvey-Smith dragon at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 23:25:50 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm just trying to claify the way the bits at $FF40 work on the RS-DOS
cartrage, I have studied the circuit sheets for both the WD1773, and
WD1793 based controlers but ams still unsure about bit 6, looking at the
circuit sheet this appears to be wired to Pin 32 of the drive cable,
which would be side select. This makes sense as the WD1773/WD1793 don't
have a side select output, unlike the WD2797 used in DragonDos, which
does. However a comment in the mess source says :

/* An email from John Kowalski informed me that if the DS3 is
* high, and one of the other drive bits is selected (DS0-DS2), then the
* second side of DS0, DS1, or DS2 is selected.  If multiple bits are
* selected in other situations, then both drives are selected, and any
* read signals get yucky.
*/

This infers that this signal can also be used to select the 4th drive,
however I'm unsure of the way this could be done. It may be possible
that the Tandy drives had some off board circuitry that somehowe did
this (or a non standard cable), since I have never actually seen one, I
do not know.

In case anyone wonders what I'm up to, I'm trying to port SuperDos (A
Dragon dos enhancement), to use the RS-Dos hardware, as I figure this
way an RS-Dos cartrage could be used with the Dragon (either the British
one or the Tano).

Cheers.

Phill.

Yahoo! Groups Links