[Coco] vintage programmers

Roger Taylor roger at newfoal.com
Sat Jan 7 11:46:21 EST 2006

Hey guys,

Anybody remember Joey Latimer from the old Family Computing magazines which
featured BASIC/ML listings for the CoCo, Atari, Commodore and Apple many
years back?  I found an old e-mail from 2003 where we spoke about his
4-voice harmony music techniques and I just wrote him back to see if his
e-mail was still current.

This guy had his own section in that magazine and I was there before the
Rainbow learning how to hack his listings and learn what was going on in
those little programs.  :)  I would have to guess 1983 or so because I
don't have the mags handy right now, but I still have a year or so of them,
most of which contain CoCo 1/2 listings.

There's no telling how many forgotten names are out there right now that
helped all of us get to where we are today.  I thought it would be neat to
remind some of them and give them a grin.

Another name is Steve Bjork whom I followed and tried to duplicate his look
and feel of games but never could quite get it as soon as I wanted to.
:)   Last year he donated an e-mail script to me for coco3.com.  Steve, if
you're here, the feeling of getting some source code of a from a developer
who I wanted to BE when I was younger is hard to describe, but it made me
feel pretty damn good.  The irony of the whole thing is that the script was
riddled with some minor bugs and typos that I quickly fixed.  Man, it was a
great day!  Ah. :)   My master of the 80's and I chatted about web design
and swapped client sites.  He's a great webmaster, btw, in case some of you
didn't know what Steve was up to these days.  Web design!

And so I keep doing what I love and just trying to give guys like these
something in return for what I have learned from them over the years.  So
when I release the Rainbow IDE, I am hoping to capture the eyes of those
many lost names who are aging with us but not yet through with their love
for 8-bit programming.

More soon...

Cheers,

--