[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Ebay bad sellers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 27 00:39:16 EST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 22:59, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 2/26/06 2:14:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>glenvdb at hotmail.com writes:
>>Although this may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure
>> that this
>
>is
>
>>not a phisher?
>
>Speaking of phishers -- twice I got a fancy looking email "from eBay",
>actually a relay from a user, who was telling me that unless I had
> PayPal the  deal was off.
>
>Well, I hadn't made any new bids on eBay for over a month at that
> time, all my old deals were paid off and concluded, so I didn't
> attempt to respond to these.  Now I'd [probably find myself
> blacklisted next time I go on.   But this arms-length method of doing
> emails between buyers and sellers is a real  pain (and a new feature
> -- wasn't like this a year or so ago).
>--Mike K.

Its older than that Mike.  I got bit the last time I was sent out to
Grand Junction, summer 2004, where a fancy but getting long in the
tooth disk based commercial server was DOA due  to a failed Matrox scsi
card.  The makers (Leitch) wanted like $850 for the card, and weren't
sure they even had one.  So I get online & manage to buy one on ebay
for about 50 bucks.  Exactly that card was the only card their system
supported and they weren't interested in writing a patch.

But then, since I wasn't coming from my home machine, and had no one
here to run it anyway, they spent a friggin week screwing around trying
to prove I wasn't me because I wasn't coming from my home address.  The
fact that I could quote it to them, along with the passwd, wasn't worth
a bucket of warm spit to them.  I finally had the stations attorney in
DC call them and threaten legal action plus damages since it was
costing KREX about 3 to 4 grand a day with that thing on the disabled
list.  I mean we were running a commercial free, sit in black during
the commercials, version of a cbs affiliate!  Then they finally agreed
to give the seller my email address in Grand Junction and I was then
able to arrange the check and the card, overnited both ways.  But I
figured then and still do now, that their "rules" cost us about $30G's.
$20G's of it was 100% their fault.

So if you think I'm still pi$$ed, you're right.  I've only bought one
thing off ebay since, and took a $200 + shipping bath on that.  That
was _the_ straw.

BTW, AOL is discussing this brilliant idea of charging everyone a small
fee, less than a cent, per email message they allow thru to their
subscribers, supposedly in an attempt to control spam.  Since the
majority of the rest of the ISP's won't even consider paying that, AOL
will be effectively disconnected from the internet, so you might want
to look around for another ISP.

--
Cheers Mike, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: