[Coco] USB floppies,

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 24 22:46:12 EST 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:09:32 +0000, Phill Harvey-Smith
<afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
out:

>Hi,
>
>For the person that was asking about using a USB floppy with am machine
>already containing 2 drives.....
>
>I have just had a play having borrowed the USB floppy from work (when I
>eventually managed to locate a driver for it for Win98), it seems to
>work fine, and is just assigned another drive letter as any USB drive
>would be (F: in my case), you can't boot from it but it seems to be ok
>for data. It of course probably would not work for reading CoCo / Dragon
>floppies, but I guess that's what you'd use the "real" floppies for.
>
>If you want me to test under XP/Linux I can do that whilst I have it but
>I see no reason why that would not work also.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Phill.

I've recently tried an USB floppy under XP Pro w/sp2.

Retrieve.exe doesn't actually see it or the real floppy.

The Omniflop 2.01g driver won't install for the usb floppy.  You get a
hard reboot if you try, and then you have to fix the drivers for the
real one.

The specs for the usb floppy: MSDOS 720k and 1.44MB, and MacOS 1.44MB.

Stephen