[Color Computer] [coco] The coco cassette

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 20:42:08 EST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 20:28, George's Coco Address wrote:
> [...]

I've had scope probe or two in hand since I was 16, George. 1951 TBE.

>  I studied the waveforms and found that the cheap machines(which I
> tested) were not acceptable due to the "Push-Pull" circuit in the
> record amplifier. It  would make a HORRIBLE transition on the peaks.
> The CCR-81 did not have this error. The peaks were smooth and easy.

That 'horrible transition' was in fact the tapes magnetic hysteresis in
most cases.  The CTR-81 did have, IIRC a dc bias applied to the
recorded signal to offset the magnetic curve to one side or the other
of that characteristic, something the ac bias if at the right level,
totally compensates for.  So it was some better, but still, using
permanent magnets to erase the tape left a builtin bias that very
faithfully reproduced the coating anomalies as shot noise in the output
when the tape was played back on any machine.  And in restricting the
record level so as not to hit either tape saturation or that hysteresis
point, resulted in a tape that was recorded at about 15 to 20% of the
level the tape itself was capable of.  Couple that low record level
with the extra 20-30 db of noise, and making it work often required a
virgin to be sacrificed per load attempt, rather like poorly designed
scsi circuits of the day.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: