[Color Computer] [coco] The coco cassette

George's Coco Address yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Fri Feb 24 20:28:34 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett"Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 6:54 PM

> On Friday 24 February 2006 19:28, Diego Barizo wrote:
>>The first tape I bought after getting my CoCo was a 90 min. one. They
>>are supposed to be less reliable than others, but after 22...23....24
>>years, it only got a couple of bad spots.
>>Most of my friends had Sinclair Spectrum. A real pain to get a game to
>> load!
>>
> I had nothing but bad luck with the CTR-81/82.  And being an electronics
> type, I came to the conclusion that 99% of the trouble was the DC bias
> used in nearly all those things sold as computer tape recorders by
> anybody.

snipity

> as is.  This would have reduced the background shot noise by at least 30
> db.  Or to have put a motor control circuit into a better one, either
> would have worked a treat and would have had a lip lock on that data
> market once word spread that hey, here is one that WORKS!.
>
>> Diego
>>
>>George Ramsower wrote:
>>> I dimly recall that the coco was famous for being the fastest and
>>> most reliable.
>>>
>>> Once I got a CCR-81, I had very few problems, unless I had a bad
>>> tape.
>>>
>>> I tried several, cheaper tape machines and none worked properly
>>> until I finally broke down and bought the CCR-81.
>>>
>>> I bet a PC sound card would be better than a cassette deck.
>>>
>>>George
>>

> --
> Cheers, Gene

  At that time, I was working for Motorola C&E and we had equipment to study
the waveform (O-Scopes).

  I studied the waveforms and found that the cheap machines(which I tested)
were not acceptable due to the "Push-Pull" circuit in the record amplifier.
 It  would make a HORRIBLE transition on the peaks.
 The CCR-81 did not have this error. The peaks were smooth and easy.

GEORGE