[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: OFF TOPIC! by golly..(spam)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 17:10:48 EST 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 12:15, George Ramsower wrote:
>Gene,
>
> I've pretty much eliminated spam to my computer by making sure that
> all my email addresses are secure.
> I do this mostly by creating a new email addy for special events,
> such as the coco list. Hence the addy I use for this list.
> When some yahoo joins the group to steal that addy, it's a very
> isolated event. If this continues, I'll just unsubscribe, create a
> new email and subscribe again with that one... until it happens
> again.
> Another example is if I go to a website(as in dipwad.com) and have to
> sign up for something, I use an email addy such as
> dipwad at mywebsite.com and if they spam it, then I know who did it. I
> then reconfigure that addy to forward all the email back to them,
> usually webmaster at dipwad.com. The spams usually stop right away.
> This is more fun than "Spam Assassin" or any other method, takes less
> time and my inbox is clean.

There's a 'yesbut' to that George.  Mailing agents are smart enough to
stop a round robin loop most of the time, and while you might feel good
doing it, the chances that you'll actually forward it to the right
person are someplace between point double ought zip and none because
the return addresses are from some zombie machine who has no idea his
box has been rooted & converted into a zombie relay, for exactly that
purpose.  I've tried that on a couple of the more blatant abusers, like
uol.com.br but they have it rigged to bounce the mail if you aren't a
customer, so I get it back in 2 minutes or less.

Generally speaking its nothing more than a waste of bandwidth, something
these guys could care less about only if they were dead.  The real
secret to reducing it somewhat is to make it expensive for the spamemr
in terms of time.  I know of more than one mail server that imposes a
30 second delay in the connect, and only if they try again after that
30 seconds has expired will the message be accepted for delivery.  That
will cut it 90% right there cause they won't stick around and waste the
time.  Thats real easy to do in qmail, no idea how hard it is for other
server software though.