[Coco] PICs and S-Video

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Feb 22 12:55:49 EST 2006

There are strengths and weaknesses of both microcontrollers. There
are plenty of tools both from the vendor and from third party
sources.

As for cost between them it is almost a wash. The greatest strength
of the AVR's is that they were designed to compete head to head
with the HC11/12 line of microcontrollers from Motorola. Pics were
not. I have looked at the instruction set for the AVRs and they more
remind me more of the HC11 than that of the 6809 instruction set.
Then to me assembly is assembly. Oncew you learn the syntax, it is
rather easy to use.

A new member on the market now is the PSOCs from Cypress.
They have some interesting aspects that neither AVRs or PICs
have.

james