[Coco] Re: Radio Shack CEO Resigns

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:50:23 EST 2006

George's Coco Address wrote:

> DOH!
>
>  Oh yeah!.
>
>  Rat Shack!!
>
>  Darn!! I remember that place! I used to find ELECTRONIC PARTS there!
>
>  Do they still carry batteries and flashlight lamps?
>
> George

Did a 3 month stint last year part time at a RS store, more to quench
off my curiosity on the inner workings of today's version of the
company that introduced the CoCo so many years ago. It was an
interesting experience, 5 minutes into the 'introductory' training
session I was having solid seconds thoughts of being there but decided
to plow on forward. The floor sales staff for the most part were
collegue students willing to sell stuff and more helpful than the
typical clerk at Best Buy, Circuit City and the like. Still, it was a
real drag to see that whatever RS was had been stripped down to yet
another wireless phone seller - parts bin getting smaller and smaller,
useless stuff being sent to the store every week (those dreaded M&M
radios - who thought they would be a great idea? - Edmonson?)... you
get the idea.

Lasted only for the next day after Thanksgiving's sale. There was a
lot of hoopla on what corporate was doing to boost up RS image and
sales... recent events tell the underlying ugly truth. Sad part of
this is that the store employees are the ones that really are going to
pay for them Texas guys blunders.

RS should probably should look back into its past and retake that
direction adapted to current times. There was talk about iMacs in RS
shelves but with recent events I don't think Jobs would be eager to do
it. All I can say is that RS is a clear example of just how dumb
corporatization of a company can bring things down real bad.

And everyone's better off buying their batteries somewhere else. Believe me :-)

--

-=[ Rogelio ]=-