[Coco] The old vendors

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Mon Feb 20 23:11:54 EST 2006

Chester:

Welcome back!  Cloud 9 (http://www.cloud9tech.com/) would
be the place to go to get the IDE drive controller, but
they are currently not taking any new orders until they
finish the Superboard project (check the site, it's really
neat)

As far as getting older 720K 3.5" drives, or 360K 5.25"
drives, I don't know where you can go.  There is a product
from Germany called "Catweasel" they allows you to write
to newer disks in older formats, but there are some issues
with the way newer disks write then may cause problems
with the way the CoCo reads them (hopefully Neil Morrison
or Rodney Hamilton will jump in here)

I just started a thread on this list about the IOMagic USB
Datacenter with a 3.5" drive that is supposed to be
compatable with 720K drives.  There are emululators out
there that you can use on a PC to write code with and then
you can transfer images of the code to the CoCo.  I am
hoping someone will write a tutorial about this  soon,
since I and other need to learn how to do this (hint hint
:)

There is talk of a new disk controller, but that is some
time off.  Hopefully someone else on the list can help you
out more than me.

Again, welcome back and happy CoCo'ing.

-Jim