[Coco] Re: Coco printer primer...

Brian Blake random_rodder at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 11:28:05 EST 2006

Thanks for the offer of figuring the wiring for the cable. I may need to take you up on this, depending on how I've done below.

Yes, it does have a DB25 serial card. And the Okidata service manual states that is uses both X-ON/X-OFF and Ready/Busy protocols. I can only assume that it uses a standard RS232c connection as the manual does not have a pinout.

I'm guessing that when using the printer mode of the bit banger is send only and makes no use of the RS232's bi-directional capability.

Looking at the back of the Coco, here is how I see the connections (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong):

Coco pins                to                            DB25 pins

1 -   not used
2 -   /Printer Busy                                    Still trying to figure this one out...
3 - Ground                                               Pin 7 (assuming signal ground and not sheild)
4 - Data                                                     Pin 3  (Receive data on PC)

Now, where I will need some assistance at is determining if other pins need looped to each other...

 Thanks,

Brian

Torsten Dittel <Torsten at Dittel.info> wrote: Look at the reply by Gene Heskett, he just corrected me the CoCo's Bit
Banger Port is doing +/-7.5V which matches perfectly the RS232 specs
(maybe I've been confused by some 68HC11 projects I did about 10 years
ago). So the only thing you need is a proper cable. Does your OKI's
serial card have a DB25 type connector? Someone on the list living in
the US might make you a cable easily ans send it to you if you don't
have soldering iron. If you need me to figure out the wiring of such a
cable I would do this too.

Regards,
Torsten