[Coco] Coco printer primer...

Stephen Castello zootzoot at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 12 23:20:47 EST 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:51:51 -0800 (PST), Brian Blake
<random_rodder at yahoo.com> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
out:

>Good evening everybody. In one of the eBay auctions I've one, I picked up a R/S DMP-110 printer. Seems to work fine, but the big issue I am having, not surprisingly, is where can I get ribbons for this dinosaur? I've read in several places that the ribbon is the same as that used in a Commodore MPS-801 and I have found a supplier for them (waiting for confirmation on this).
>
>  What I am looking for I guess is the following:
>
>  1. what dot matrix printers were compatible with the Coco? (My original was a Okidata 82A, but I cannot remeber what all it took to get it working)
>
>  2. How hard is it to get the Coco to talk to more modern printers? I've got no problems with making the cables as long as I have a pinout diagram.
>
>  My 14 year old is itching to do her semester report in science on a Coco (why I have no idea, guess it's the novelty) and I'd hate to let her down.
>
>  Sorry if this is a repeat question to the list, I'm fairly new here and just rediscovering the Coco (and having a ton of fun in the process!!!).
>
>  Thanks in advance for all the help!!!
>
>  Brian

If you get a serial to parallel adapter for the coco, you can use any
print with a parallel port that doesn't require a driver to use.  If a
printer supports MSDOS, it should work.

Stephen