[coco] application for exhibit + playing with the telephone...

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 12 07:42:25 EST 2006

It's good to see that the Marx Brothers are alive and well.  The 4
computers on my network are "Groucho", "Harpo", "Chico", and "Zeppo".
A surprising number  of my friends at work simply don't get it (e.g. never
heard of 'em).

Coco-related:
   Many years ago, there was an article in "Electronics Now" that showed
the format for (telephone) caller ID.  It was a series of signals sent
between rings that happened to use 1 cycle at 2400hz to be "1" and one
cycle 1200hz to be "0".  The format only accomodated for a number.  Does
anyone happen to know the current format for caller ID?  I had thought at
one time to use the coco cassette to build a soft caller-id box (you could
have fun with that one -- IF NUMBER="telemarketer" then HANGUP).  I was
thinking of using the ring signal (of course adequately protecting the
coco against it) as some sort of trigger.
   I was hoping someone on the list had a more modern knowledge of this
type of thing than me.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.
                       - Aaron