[Coco] Re: Help needed: problems with RETRIEV(E)ing DSK images

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 22:20:29 EST 2006

On 02/06/2006 08:53 pm, Alex Evans wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
> > Ward Griffiths wrote:
> >> The only difference between low-density and high-density (or SS
> >> and DS for
> >
> > Do you mean Single and Double density, I think Single and double
> > sided is determined by the number of heads in the drive :)
>
> Actually he is talking about the difference in the data clock.
> Single and double density are actually encoded differently (FM vs
> MFM), but double (low) and (double) high density differ by the data
> rate, even the 2.88 M 3.5" floppies use the same encoding scheme, but
> at a higher data rate.

No, I was talking about telling the media apart.  There is no definite visual
or manual method of distinguishing between the various types of 5.25" media,
unless the disk jacket has a label put there by the manufacturer that hasn't
peeled off or been covered up over the past couple of decades.

Well, there _is_ hard-sectored media, and that's always low-density, but I
haven't seen a hard-sectored 5.25" floppy since 1981.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I think boys might benefit from owning a Barbie doll; every young man
should understand what an expensive proposition it is to cohabitate with
a narcissistic woman built like a stripper.  --  Tony Woodlief