[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Let me introduce myself

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 18:29:42 EST 2006

On 02/02/2006 04:25 pm, Russell Flowers wrote:

> A good technique in those days was writing most of the
> program in BASIC, and using ML routines where you
> needed high speed or complexity. For example, I worked

Something Leo Christopherson was especially good at and famous for.

> on kind of a 'mapping' program for the CoCo. (It was
> my implementation of Envyrn from SoftSide magazine, if
> you remember that.) Most of it was in BASIC, but I had
> a hi-res screen where you could build a 128x128 grid
> from a tile set you drew. Scrolling around that map
> with a BASIC routine was agonizing - you clicked a
> scroll widget and waited while the screen was redrawn.
> I implemented a small ML routine to do the scrolling,
> and you could fly across that map.

I remember the Envyrn system.  Very nifty for its time.  I played quite a bit
with the Mod 1/3 implementation and did a partial Coco implementation myself,
though was too busy with other things to get far.

I liked and bought Softside for several years.  I was very disappointed that
about the time they were going to add Coco support to the three BASICs they
published listings in (after Mod 1, Atari and Apple) instead they split into
three versions with listings for only one machine per.  I'd enjoyed comparing
the listings of the same program three ways and translating some of those
they didn't do all of.
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I think boys might benefit from owning a Barbie doll; every young man
should understand what an expensive proposition it is to cohabitate with
a narcissistic woman built like a stripper.  --  Tony Woodlief